I make them with fresh or frozen rhubarb. They are crisp on the outside, tender and moist on the inside.
These muffins freeze well... if they last long enough!
- 1 egg
- 1 cup brown sugar (I used 2/3 cup sucanet)
- 1/2 cup shortening (I used coconut oil)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup buttermilk (I used rice milk with a bit of lemon juice)
- 1 1/2 cups diced rhubarb
- 2 cups flour (I used spelt flour)
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
Beat the egg. Beat in brown sugar, shortening and salt. Stir in buttermilk, then rhubarb. Sift flour, soda and cinnamon together into the mixture. Stir only until all the flour is moistened. Spoon into 12 buttered or paper-lined muffin cups. Bake at 375 deg. for 20 minutes. If using frozen rhubarb cook a little longer.
- Taken from - "Schmecks Appeal" by Edna Staebler